Games: The Red Dragon Inn 1
- Core Set: Red Dragon Inn 1 (However all Games act as stand alone games apart from mini expansions)
- Manufacturer: Slugfest Games
- No of Players: 2+ (Limited only by number of decks – this set has 4 decks)
- Playing Time: 30 to 50 Minutes (30 mins + 10 mins per additional player beyond 2)
- Minimum Age: 12+
- Release Date:2008
You and your adventuring companions have spent all day slogging through the Dungeon, killing monsters and taking their stuff. Now you’re back in town, healed up, cleaned up, and ready to party at the Red Dragon Inn.
Drink, gamble, and roughhouse with your friends. But don’t forget to keep an eye on your Gold. If you run out, you’ll have to spend the night in the stables. Oh… and try not to get too beaten up or too drunk. If you black out, your friends will continue the party without you… after they loot your body for Gold of course!
The last conscious adventurer with Gold wins the game!
Take on the role of one of these heroic fantasy adventurers – Deirdre, Fiona, Gerki, or Zot – and enjoy an evening at the Red Dragon Inn!
Deirdre uses the power of the Goddess to protect and heal her friends and to smite the wicked creatures of the deep dungeons. She’ll also smite anyone who treats her like a bimbo, even though she’s not above working her good looks get her way.
The Good: The Goddess keeps Deirdre protected from harm.
The Bad: The Goddess’s protection does not help against alcohol. Deirdre is a cheap date.
This brash warrior maiden is quick with a sword… or axe, or dagger, or any other sharp or pointy thing she can get her hands on.
The Good: She’s more than capable of dishing out and taking serious physical abuse, and her formidable constitution allows her to drink a lot!
The Bad: For all her strengths, she’s not very good at keeping track of her Gold.
Gerki’s a shifty halfling whose pockets are always full of Gold. A master of poisons, mechanisms, and stabbing people in the back, Gerki has saved the lives of his friends many, many times. Of course, if he wasn’t so darn useful they most likely would have killed him by now!
The Good: Gerki is so good at gambling that some people suspect that he might be cheating.
The Bad: Yeah, he’s cheating.
Zot might have had a cushy job teaching magic theory at the Wizards’ College, had he not been saddled with Pooky, a psychotic, binge drinking bunny rabbit, as his familiar.
The Good: Zot is good at card tricks, and, hence, is good at gambling. His mastery of many magical spells keeps him well protected, whether he’s roughhousing, drinking, or gambling.
The Bad: That rabbit is insane. Seriously.
- 4 unique 40 card player decks
- One 30 card Drink deck
- 4 Player Templates
- 4 Fortitude markers
- 4 Alcohol Content markers
- 50 Gold Coin tokens
- Rules for playing The Red Dragon
How to Play:
In Red Dragon Inn, you play the part of a party of heroic, fantasy adventurers. You’ve raided the dungeon, killed the monsters, and taken their treasure. Now you’re back, and what better way to celebrate your most recent victory than to spend an evening at the Red Dragon Inn. You and your adventuring companions will spend the night drinking, gambling, and roughhousing. The last person who is both sober enough to remain conscious and shrewd enough to hold onto his Gold wins.
To begin the game a player will start off by choosing a character deck. These are fairly balanced with a mix of similar cards but each have their own flavour text and some unique cards. Also some characters will have more of one type of a kind of card than another for instance ‘Fleck’ the bard has more gambling orientated cards.
Fortitude starts at 20. Alcohol Content starts at 0. Fortitude & Alcohol Content can’t be more than 20 or less than 0. If Fortitude and Alcohol Content meet, you’re out!
- Action: Used only on a players turn
- Anytime: Used whenever a player deems fit
- Sometimes: Used in reaction to another event or card being played
- Gambling: Special cards for use when engaged in gambling (Mostly Action cards to start Gambling, followed by others that are played in the sub game)
Each player takes a turn by
- Discard/Draw Phase: Discarding, then Drawing (up to 7 cards in a hand)
- Action Phase: Play an Action card
- Buying Drinks Phase: give a drink from the drink deck to a player’s Drink Me! pile
- Drink! Phase: Drinking from one’s own Drink Me! Pile..
The Drink Deck sits in the middle of the table, waiting for somebody to deal a drink to another player (Buy Drinks Phase). It consists of:
- Low to high Alcohol Content drinks: These are simply Alcohol Content givers
- “With Chaser” cards: These force a player to take some Alcohol Content and then drink the next card underneath it as well.
- Unique Drinks: Holy Water, Wizard’s Brew, Coffee, etc. That have conditions
- Drinking Events: As if the Drink! phase wasn’t bad enough, these drink cards actually call for the entire table to drink one or more drinks. The” Drinking Contest” is particularly destructive
Winning: Game ends when one players Fortitude is reduced or drunkenness is high enough so they meet and Character ‘passes out’ or they run out of money and are therefore ‘kicked out of the Inn’.
Get the Rules Here: The Red Dragon Inn 1 (PDF, 12 MB)
Their mission at SlugFest Games is to provide good clean fun that is dripping with theme. They strive to make games that are easy to learn and quick to play, with a depth of strategy that is learned through playing. If you love humor paired with solid mechanics, then check out their games.
Want to know how to play the game?
Check out this great review courtesy of TeamHypercube: